giovedì 29 novembre 2007

web sources


Hi everybody!
In this post I'm going to discuss sources of information and how they should be evaluated.
We should always evaluate a source of information whether it comes from the web or from a newspaper or a book…we should find out more information in order to understand if the document is reliable or not. This is why sometimes I just think books are much easier and much more trustworthy than pages that are available on the web. Anyway as nowadays the role of Internet in the field of politics, economics, news, literature and basically in every area of interest is becoming more and more important and used by anyone, we should set some criteria to follow when doing our research on the web.

Personally whenever I use the internet to researching a piece of writing such as an essay I always follow several golden rules. Firstly only trust a source if it has come from a recognised and reputed source such as an E-Journal or electronic library. Secondly, when using sources that have been taken from online newspapers make sure that the story has been printed in paper form by a national or regional paper. The final rule is to take any other sources that you find on the internet “with a pinch of salt” i.e. don’t believe everything you read and most certainly don’t base your entire essay around unverified sources. These criteria are fundamental for me, but they definitely need to be combined with the advice I found on the web pages of some Universities.

I hope you find my post useful!

See u!

4 commenti:

Alberto ha detto...

Hi Laura!
I enjoyed yor golden rules very much!
Making sure that information published in online newspaper is also available in a printed edition is a very good idea!
The internet is a great opportunity, but we need to use it properly...

Claudia ha detto...

Hi Laura,

I cannot exactly understand why you think that something that appears in a real newspaper is more reliable than what appears on an on-line newspaper. I mean, online newspapers have the very same sources of the printed ones, so... I probably didn't understand something in your thought!

Anyway, I agree with you the role of web information is growing, and we can't ignore the Web as a source of information, but we have to learn how to use it properly!

have a nice week-end
Ah, I like very much the photo you posted here on the left! Have you been abroad recently?

bye
Claudia

Serena Santi ha detto...

Hi!
Claudia, I think Laura was not comparing the traditional printed version of newspapers with their on-line version. It was a more general discourse about web sites and books or newspaper. Sometimes web sites give no bibliographical references. So they are less reliable in this sense.

Claudia Trivellato ha detto...

Hi Laura!
Your advice is very useful for me!
I think, like you, that "books are much easier and much more trustworthy than pages that are available on the web", but online you can find interesting things as well, even if you have to pay attention to sources and their authenticity.