martedì 13 maggio 2008

REFLECTING ON MY INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE

Hi guys!!!
We have already spoken about intercultural competence... Almost two months ago, at the beginning of the second semester, we dealt with the Yoga Form, a form to examine the development of our intercultural communicative competence (ICC).
  • What has changed thanks to our exchange?
Well, first of all I have to say that it was not easy to answer to the questionnaires... But all those questions and examples to provide made me reflect a lot on my improvements and I found it very useful.
As far as my language skills are concerned, I think that I made many improvements. In order to do my final project I had the chance to read and write a lot... That's why I feel more fluent and confident with some grammar structures, plus I learned many useful words, such as 'political platform', 'parking lot', 'to run for office', 'stay permit', 'to reckon', 'mind that', 'to trip', 'to get kicked out' (in a soccer match), 'to recruit'.
However, what makes me really happy is the improvement of my listening and oral skills in general! I enjoyed speaking with Allyson and Ugo both because I could test my level of oral English and because of the topics we discussed... And this leads me into the next aspect to consider: the development of my intercultural competence. I learned a lot of new things about American culture: from the most general aspects (daily routine, students' life, educational system) to more complex topics (terrorism, politics, immigration). Besides, I developed my knowledge about my own culture: in order to answer to the questions from the American guys I had to gather information and in this way I discovered and re-considered Italian culture.
So... Everything was really useful and enjoyable... I do hope I'll be able to keep in touch with these new friends of mine and you all!
C U!!!

Nessun commento: